Monday, April 23, 2007

Teach For America

So for those of you who didn't know I have accepted a job with the non-profit organization Teach For America. I will be moving to Houston sometime between June 7th and June 10th. I know what your thinking, "How are you gonna walk at graduation on June 9th?" Well I have not totally figured that one out yet but I have been contemplating whether I wanted to walk or not, and I have decided that I would like to be there graduation day. Whether that happens or not is a more complicated story. To give you an idea of how stressful and complicated the beginning of summer is going to be, let me explain a little about what Im going to be doing.

So even before I go to Houston for teacher training I am going to recieve a seven pound package in the mail containing all the "pre-institute" work. Because I just accepted the offer tonight, I am not exactly sure what is in this package but I have an idea from asking others in TFA. The package contains ALOT of reading material I need to read before June 10th. It also contains papers I need to fill out including reflections from observing classrooms, reflections on readings, and other similar stuff that will get me thinking.

Then from June 7th - 9th I am supposed to be in Houston for induction which is the time when all the 2007 Houston TFA corps members will come to Houston to meet each other and everyone in TFA-Houston. This is also a time in which people may interview at schools. Yes we do have to interview still because we have only been placed in the region and have not been placed in a specific school because TFA does not know specifically what the needs are for each school and the needs for the schools could change over time. Apparently according to some current TFA corps members, the induction is not completely necessary and I might be able to get out of it for graduation. More on this topic later...

Next will be the 5-week institute from June 10th - July 14th. The institute is going to be very intense and I have been told to expect to work 10 - 12 hour days for the 5-week span. I will be teaching math at a summer school in Houston. I will be in a group of four with me being the lone math teacher. This is supposed to last from 7:30 to 2:30 every weekday and I read that we are expected to work on the 4th of July. Probably not summer school though that day. After summer school we will be taking classes and doing exercises to improve our teaching skills. Course work includes "Teaching As Leadership", "Instructional Planning and Development", "Classroom Management and Culture", "Diversity, Community and Achievement", "Learning Theory", and "Literacy Development". If you want more details check out this link https://www.teachforamerica.org/corps/training.htm . Teach For America pays for Room and Board including 3 meals a day for the entire 5 weeks. But I will have to be looking for a place to live and someone to live with during this time.

School starts August 27th, which is just about four months away from right now. Knowing that makes me a little nervous. I do not have much time to let all this soak in and do all the pre-institute stuff along with all that I am involved with at UC. BUT I seem to work well under pressure and I am excited to take on this challenge. Right now I am very anxious to get my seven pound package in the mail so I can start absorbing stuff.

So the I am thinking that June 3rd to about June 11th are going to be the craziest days of my life. I have to somehow move out of my house at UC, maybe get to Houston by June 7th, come back here for graduation by 8AM June 9th, and be back in Houston by June 10th at 6PM. I am not sure how its all gonna work out but it will work out, I have faith. And with all this going on Im going to have to deal with the emotions of leaving all my friends from UC. I am going to miss every single one of you!

One last thing for now....Does anyone know someone who would like to sublet from June till August? Let me know ASAP if you do!

Peace

MO

1 comment:

Esprit said...

When I talked to you briefly last night, you talked about how busy you were going to be and that you would hardly have time for anything else. I can say that I did not grasp the enormity of the work you had ahead of you, but reading about everyting you need to do before you actually start teaching shows it's not for the faint of heart. You are doing a wonderful thing, helping to teach the future of America.

-K