Monday, April 30, 2007

Logistics

So I was thinking alot this past weekend about the things I need to do logistically before I go to Houston and realized that this experience is going to be not only challenging from the teaching perspective but from a logistics perspective as well. Before I get into all that I want to just put out there that I really wish I did not have any other responsibilities that relate to college.

So I began by trying to figure out what I am going to take to Houston. At the very beginning I was thinking I would just drive a U-Haul down and be able to basically take all my worldly possessions. Then I realized that TFA would not be paying for that like TI did and I do not have an extra couple thousand dollars sitting around. So I basically nixed the idea of taking any furniture including my ping pong table and Foosball table, both of which were items I was really hoping to take. I then thought about how I would be able to take my cat, Smokey, down with me. I figured during the 5 weeks that I would be in the U. of Houston dorms maybe my friend Jill in Houston could take care of him. She has her own cat and Smokey loves making new friends. There are two things preventing me from bringing him down initially. 1) Travel time; Smokey must poop, pee, eat, and drink. These are all difficult tasks while traveling in a car. 2) Room in car; There would be no room to put his LARGE litter box and his travel cage. So the decision is that he will stay with my mom and grandpa until further notice.

Now I have to decide on what is most important to bring to Houston and what I can actually fit in my small Chevrolet Cavalier. I have devise a couple of plans to fit a few more things in my car. The first is to take all my DVD's out of their cases and put them into a CD case. Because I have numerous DVD's this will save the space equal to about the size of one Medium box from U-Haul. My next idea was to bring back a couple suitcases full of clothes or whatever when I fly back to Houston after graduation. These to plans should save a considerable amount of space in my car. I decided today that it would be fairly stupid to try and bring any type of food with me since I get 3 free meals a day for 5 weeks from TFA. Just one more way to save room. If anyone has any suggestions on how to save more room please advise!

What am I going to do with my furniture you ask? Well it just so happens that University Christian Church is going to have a yard sale for this program they run called "Whiz Kids". It is a program that tutors about 30 students at a local elementary school. I plan on giving them my couch, chair, and some clothes at least, if not my desk, bed, and dresser. Another big thing I will be needing to do is take all the stuff I dont take to Houston back up to Piqua. I am not sure yet how much that includes but it will probably be alot because I seem to accumulate many possessions, many of which are unnecessary.

One thing that I can check off my list is clothes. My mom and I went to Walmart and Kohls this past weekend and spent close to $400 on a new wardrobe. Instead of only having one thing to wear to formals, which as many of you know was my black shirt and silver tie, I now have probably 10 combinations of outfits I can wear that make me look sharp and professional. Im not really one to dress up but I think I may like looking nice everyday once I become a teacher.

I am sure there are other logistics involved in this whole process too but I just wanted to give you a glimpse at what I am looking forward to.

Thank you all for caring and keeping up on my life! Have a good week!

Peace,
MO

2 comments:

David said...

I just came across this ‘blog’ through your away message on gmail talk.

I hope you are able to continue 'blogging' especially when you start teaching in Houston...it is always awesome to hear your thoughts. You have a passion for serving others and a drive to make a difference in this world. This experience, while extremely challenging, will be an amazing one I hope.

It will be very cool to read about your experiences as you close one door and open another in beginning the next journey of your life.

your bud for life,

Dave

Samantha said...

how much would it be to ship certain items down? also what about a topper... not sure how that would work on a car but i figured it was an idea....